During the early 1830's there were as many as five schools on the island at one time. Lucretia Wood was the first teacher. Even though she had
no school building to teach from, she already had ten pupils in the year 1836. The first school was built in 1837, and Miss M.M. Dean was the
In 1901, a new school building was built on Division Street near the center of the island. Mr. James Estes, a generous citizen, donated $15,000
to the beginning of the construction. The building was completed in 1903.
The addition of a library, multi-purpose room, kitchen, storage room, and three new classrooms were added in 2000. The addition was long awaited and well appreciated.